Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Capitalists make bad Christians

Okay, so I don't write very well, so I really like it when I come across an article that says what I've been trying to say. So here's my deal. I think that Americans have a really screwed up idea of what makes a good Christian. Americans think that you are a good Christian if you hate gay people, hate people on welfare, hate abortions. It's all about hating things. Jesus' teachings were about loving, and caring for those in need. How many Christians do you know live those ideals?

This article was printed in the Daily Texan. I'm going to post the parts of it I especially liked, but I recommend reading it all.
Near the end of his life, Karl Marx famously lamented, "I am not a Marxist." His words reflected a frustration with individuals and societies he thought had distorted the true message of his writings.
If Jesus returned to Earth today and found himself in America, would he say, "I am not a Christian?"

I have to say, I think that he most definately would
Would he look upon mega-churches, television stations and millionaire preachers and see his essence reflected? Would he rather visit an anti-gay rally or a homeless shelter?

Americans seem to be neglecting the lessons of their savior. In the United States, 18 percent of children live in poverty. Only 8 percent of children in Sweden, whose population is largely nonreligious, are poverty stricken. Ideas such as privatizing Social Security, eliminating welfare and a disdain for public health care are hard to justify from a Christian perspective. If church leaders spent more time inspiring volunteer service and charity in their congregations, and less time blaming others for the ills of society, the United States would be a far better nation. How can individuals call themselves Christian but not make great strides to help those in need?

I especially like how he talks about church leaders spending more time inspiring volunteer service. So much religion, especially here in the Bible belt, is focused on hate. Is that what it's really supposed to be about?

As written in Leviticus, his message is clear: "Love thy neighbor as thyself." To be a Christian, compassion must remain a central tenet of one's belief. Even the most cursory examination of scripture will reveal this, while more thorough readings reaffirm the same underlying principal.

Thank you Ian Greenleigh.

No comments: